Friday, August 6, 2010

Hazard and accident - Stormwater drain in Aust Post Car park Brighton

The storm drain shown will allow any bicycle with road or hybrid tyres to fall into the grate.
 
I was entering the carpark with the intention to turn to the right of the drain and park next to the post boxes at the rear of the Post Office. To save the bike (and myself) from serious impact from the drain, I released the brakes, hopped the wheel, but then was not able to turn or stop in time for the kerb at the edge of the car park.
 
The drain pinched the tyre and tube, but hitting the kerb with a flat tyre is what did the damage to the rim.
 
The good news is I did not get injured. I was able to unclip, and like a rodeo rider, gracefully exit the mount over the headstem. The cost of repair will hurt though!
I will be reporting this to Aust Post, and if I am lucky get some compensation.
 
Any punters want to make a bet what will happen?

Regards

Administrator
www.roadrepair.wikispaces.com

No comments: